Wisconsin Dells, Wis. (July 21, 1984) – Using his home track to the fullest, Steve Holzhausen captured the ASA-ARTGO Challenge Series second annual ‘Escape to Wisconsin 100’ at Dells Motor Speedway on Saturday night.The ninth event on the ASA-ARTGO Challenge Series late model circuit saw the 27-year-old Bangor, Wis., resident wheel his 1984 Thunderbird to his first-ever ARTGO victory.
A 10-year veteran of racing, Holzhausen, the 1980 Dells champion, moved into the lead on the 25th lap after starting seventh in the 24-car field.
Having a half-lap margin at the checkered flag, Holzhausen finished ahead of Tom Reffner, Jim Sauter, series leader Dick Trickle, and Steve Burgess.
Joe Shear moved his Firebird into the lead at the start of the 100-lapper. Shear, who started on the outside of the front row, paced the opening round with Jim Weber and Mel Whalen giving chase.
Moving quickly to the front, Holzhausen moved into third on lap 13 and second by lap 19. Using the outside groove Holzhausen set his sights on Shear. Taking the high side, Holzhausen moved past Shear as the pair raced into turns one and two on lap 25.
With Holzhausen in command, Reffner moved in to challenge only to see the new leader pull away to his first ARTGO Flag. Holzhausen began a comfortable margin, holding a quarter-lap lead at the halfway mark.
With no yellow flags to slow his progress, Holzhausen stretched his lead using the outside groove to build the margin to a half-lap at the finish.
1. Steve Holzhausen, Bangor, Wis.
2. Tom Reffner, Rudolph, Wis.
3. Jim Sauter, Necedah, Wis.
4. Dick Trickle, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
5. Steve Burgess, Eau Claire, Wis.
6. Al Schill, Franklin, Wis.
7. Jim Weber, Roseville, Minn.
8. Jim Back, Vesper, Wis.
9. Rick Wateski, La Crosse, Wis.
10. Tony Strupp, West Bend, Wis.
11. Mel Whalen, Shakopee, Minn.
12. Scott Hansen, Green Bay, Wis.
13. Ken Lund, Madison, Wis.
14. Bob Dotter, Chicago, Ill.
15. Don Leach, Beloit, Ill.
16. Dick Stang, Prior Lake, Minn.
17. Don Turner, La Crosse, Wis.
18.Tracy Schuler, Lockport, Ill.
19. Robbie Reiser, Allenton, Wis.
20. Joe Shear, South Beloit, Ill.