Lake City, Fla. (January 28, 1979) – Don Mack of East Grand Forks, Minn., a two-time Florida 500 winner, took the lead on the third lap and held the top spot the remaining 47 circuits to win Sunday’s opening race of the third annual Florida Sprint Nationals.The victory was Mack’s first on a half-mile dirt track in two years of competing in the series.
Rick Ferkel of Findlay, Ohio, who set fast time (19.214) during time trials finished second. Johnny Beaber of Gibsonburg, Ohio was third, followed by Johnny Anderson of Sacramento, Calif., and Ralph Parkinson Jr., of Gladstone, Mo.
Robert Smith of Gibsonton, Fla., qualified for the feature by winning the consolation and while Zephyr Hill’s Wayne Reutimann did the same with a third-place finish in the semifinal race.
1. Don Mack, East Grand Forks, Minn.
2. Rick Ferkel, Findlay, Ohio
3. Johnny Beaber, Gibsonburg, Ohio
4. Johnny Anderson, Sacramento, Calif.
5. Ralph Parkinson Jr., Gladstone, Mo.
6. Bill Roynon, Tampa
7. Roger Rager, Mound, Minn.
8. Allen Barr, Columbus, Ind.
9. Greg Leffler, St. Paul, Ind.
10.Cliff Cockrum, Benton, Ill.