Rochester, Minn. (June 29, 1978) – Dick Sorenson of Rochester, took home $1,000 for winning the 40-lap late model invitational at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds on Thursday night.
On lap 33, Sorenson was running behind Ed Sanger of Waterloo, Iowa, and Phil Prusak of Eau Claire, Wis., when Sanger’s engine let go. This put Sanger out of competition while Prusak ran into oil spewed from Sanger’s engine and lost his vision enough to allow Sorenson to sneak by for the lead.
Sorenson would run untouched the remainder of the way while Prusak held on to take runner-up honors. Red Steffen of Eau Claire, Wis., finished third followed by Jack Harder of St. Paul, Minn., and Tom Bartholomew of Waterloo, Iowa.
1. Dick Sorenson, Rochester, Minn.
2. Phil Prusak, Eau Claire, Wis.
3. Red Steffen, Eau Claire, Wis.
4. Jack Harder, St. Paul, Minn.
5. Tom Bartholomew, Waterloo, Iowa
6. Steve Egersdorf, St. Paul, Minn.
7. John Foegen, Winona, Minn.
8. Mark Noble, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
9. Leon Plank, Mondovi, Wis.
10. Mert Williams, Rochester, Minn.