Davenport, Iowa (May 1, 1992) – Defending NASCAR Busch All-Star Tour champion Steve Kosiski posted his fifth consecutive Davenport Speedway tour victory on Friday night, taking advantage of another driver’s misfortune late in the 40-lap main event.Ray Guss Jr. of Milan, Ill., had taken the lead from Curt Martin of Independence, Iowa, on the fourth turn of lap 27 and appeared unstoppable en route to the checkered flag.
But a slower car in Guss’ groove hampered the leader and Kosiski, from Omaha, Neb., who was running on Guss’ rear bumper, was able to slip by on lap 39 for the lead and eventual win.
Guss finished second behind Kosiski, as he had when the last NASCAR Busch All-Star Tour last competed at the Davenport half-mile in July 1991. Martin was third at the end.
The race winner had not really expected to end up in victory lane.
“I’m definitely surprised. Ray definitely had the fast car tonight; he ran a strong race,” Kosiski said. “He came flying right by me. He had the groove.”
1. Steve Kosiski, Omaha, Neb.
2. Ray Guss Jr., Milan, Ill.
3. Curt Martin, Independence, Iowa
4. Joe Kosiski, Omaha Neb.
5. Gary Webb, Davenport, Iowa
6. Bob Hill, Story City, Iowa
7. Bob Helm, Milan, Ill.
8. John Provenzano, Chicago, Ill.
9. Ed Kosiski, Omaha, Neb.
10. Tom Hearst, Wilton, Iowa
11. Willy Kraft, Lakefield, Minn.
12. Johnny Johnson, West Burlington, Iowa
13. Sonny Smyser, Lancaster, Mo.
14. Jay Johnson, West Burlington, Iowa
15. Sonny Findling, Kirksville, Mo.
16. Bob Wood, Metamora, Ill.
17. Kyle Berck, Marquette, Neb.
18. Terry Ryan, Davenport, Iowa
19. Jerry Wancewicz, Omaha, Neb.
20. Tom Svoboda, David City, Neb.
Post a Comment