Mel Morris is joined by MVSC president Dale Gegner after grabbing the 50-lap mid-season title at West Liberty. - Dick Kleindolph Photo
West Liberty, Iowa (June 20, 1968) – Mel Morris of West Liberty, Iowa, picked up the first of two mid-season championships for the Mississippi Valley Speed Club on Saturday night before a capacity crowd.Mark Mosier of Washington, Iowa, finished second in the feature to take over the MVSC point lead with 106 points.
Stan Crooks of Muscatine, Iowa, was leading the 50-lap main event until lap 44 when he got caught in lap traffic, allowing Morris to slip by for the lead and the eventual win. Crooks would retire to the pit with a faulty gas line.
Crooks turned in the fastest time on the half-mile, clocking in at 26 seconds flat. Bud Darting of Wilton, Iowa, turned in the second fastest time at 26.01 seconds.
Tom Harris of Iowa City, Iowa, picked up the first win of the evening in the trophy dash. Wahlee Brown of Rock Island, Ill., was the first heat winner while Morris took the second heat. Tom Stewart of Washington, Iowa, grabbed the victory in the third heat and Darting took the fourth heat.
With 41 cars entered, a consolation was needed. John Noble of Burlington, Iowa, followed by Charlie Moffitt of Stanwood, Iowa.
1. Mel Morris, West Liberty, Iowa
2. Mark Mosier, Washington, Iowa
3. John Moss, Iowa City, Iowa
4. Ron Prymek, Iowa City, Iowa
5. Byron Buchele, Muscatine, Iowa
6. Bill Newman, Burlington, Iowa
7. Tom Harris, Iowa City, Iowa
8. Bud Darting, Wilton, Iowa
9. Dan Robertson, Muscatine, Iowa
10. Jerry Onnen, Muscatine, Iowa
11. Dave Dodder, Letts, Iowa
12. Bob Helm, Rochester, Iowa