West Liberty, Iowa (April 17, 1976) – Super Stocks, Inc., presented the first late model race of the season at West Liberty Raceway on Saturday night, and a crowd of over 6,000 race fans turned out for the invitational late model special.
The sixth fastest times in qualifying were inverted for the start of the feature event with 22 cars starting the feature.
Ron Weedon of Pleasant Valley, Iowa, powered his Camaro around the half-mile dirt oval for 25 laps, holding off the advances of last year’s co-champion, Darrel Dake of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Right behind those two veterans was Ed Mellecker of Iowa City, who was a contender the whole way and pocketed the extra prize of $50 for finishing third.
A total of 48 cars checked in with Roger Dolan of Lisbon, Iowa, setting fast time in 24.41 seconds and pocketing $100 for his efforts.
Four heats saw Ron Prymek of Iowa City, Iowa, capture the first heat; Jim Burbridge of Delhi, Iowa, take the second heat; the ever-popular Duane Steffe of Colona, Ill., came in first in the third heat and Bob Helm of Andalusia, Ill., walked away with the fourth heat. Semi-feature honors went to Bob Helm with Ed Sanger of Waterloo, Iowa, a close second.
The feature event saw drivers from Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska lineup in the 22-car, 25-lap feature. Bob Kosiski, came all the way from Omaha, Neb., to run the open competition rules program.
Time trials – Roger Dolan, Lisbon, Iowa – 24.41
First heat – Ron Prymek, Iowa City, Iowa
Second heat – Jim Burbridge, Delhi, Iowa
Third heat – Duane Steffe, Colona, Ill.
Fourth heat – Bob Helm, Andalusia, Ill.
Semi-main – Bob Helm
1. Ron Weedon, Pleasant Valley, Iowa
2. Darrel Dake, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3. Ed Mellecker, Iowa City, Iowa
4. Roger Dolan
5. Curt Hansen, Dike, Iowa
6. John Moss, Iowa City
7. Ken Walton, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8. Mike Niffenegger, Kalona, Iowa
9. Bill Beckman, Lisbon, Iowa
10. Duane Steffe, Colona, Ill.
11. Larry Jenkins, Wilton, Iowa
12. Stan Stover, Reinbeck, Iowa
13. Jim Strube, Peoria, Ill.
14. Bill Rice, Des Moines
15. Verlin Eaker, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
16. Larry Rummelhart, Riverside, Iowa
17. Jim Leverington, Freeport, Ill.
18. Ken DeGood, Hills, Iowa
19. Dave Birkhofer, Muscatine, Iowa
20. Dick Schiltz, Waterloo, Iowa
21. Bob Kosiski, Omaha
22. Jack Hall, Muscatine, Iowa