Belleville, Kan. (July 4, 1960) – Ernie Derr, the International Motor Contest Association champion from Keokuk, Iowa, won the 50-lap Independence Day Classic on the Belleville high-banked, half-mile dirt track before a crowd of 3,500 on Monday.Derr took the lead from Ramo Stott, also of Keokuk, Iowa, on the 42nd lap when Stott was forced to pull to the infield with motor issues.
Derr’s winning time for the 25-mile contest was 23 minutes and 11.23 seconds, which set a new track record.
1. Ernie Derr, Keokuk, Iowa
2. Mert Williams, Rochester, Minn.
3. Jerry McCredie, Keokuk, Iowa
4. Gerry Harrison, Topeka
5. Darrell Dake, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
6. Newt Bartholomew, Carlisle, Iowa
7. Robert “Doc” Narber, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8. Milo Van Oudenhoven, Appleton, Wis.
9. Phil Cronin, Houston, Tex.
10.Ramo Stott, Keokuk, Iowa
11.Bob Kosiskie, Omaha, Neb.
12.Joe Dolphy, New Brighton, Minn.