Spencer, Iowa (September 17, 1964) - Track records fell like flies in the frost as Ramo Stott of Keokuk, Iowa, dove to victory in the 50-lap Interational Motor Contest Association new model stock car feature at the Clay County Fairgrounds on Friday afternoon.
Stott’s 1964 Plymouth blazed around the half-mile oval 50 times in a record-breaking 22 minutes and 8 seconds. Snatching an early lead, Stott led all the way in the feature and won by three-car lengths over Dick Hutcherson, also of Keokuk.
Excitement was created when another Keokuk speedster, Ernie Derr, tore out the rear of his racecar while running side-by-side with Stott about halfway through the contest.
In time trials, Derr sped around the track in 26.41 seconds, another record for the fairgrounds track. The 10-lap record also fell in the second heat when Hutcherson tore across the finish line in 4 minutes and 28 seconds. . Hutcherson cracked another mark in the five-lap sprint with a time of 2 minutes and 14 seconds.
1. Ramo Stott, Keokuk, Iowa2. Dick Hutcherson, Keokuk, Iowa
3. Bob Reynolds, Edmonds, Okla.
4. Ole Brua, Albert Lea, Minn.
5. Bill Thomas, St. Paul, Minn.
6. Arch Schmidt, St. Paul, Minn.
7. George Barton, Polk City, Iowa
8. Frank Sadoris, Lincoln, Neb.
9. Dean Roper, Springfield, Mo.
10. Bob Jusola, Minneapolis Minn.