Tipton, Iowa (May 17, 1970) - Jack Meng won the action-packed feature at the Cedar County Raceway Sunday night. It was the Maquoketa driver's first feature win of the year at the Tipton track.
Meng got the lead on the first lap and held it for the 20 laps. It was fender-to-fender and bumper-to-bumper action by five other cars right behind Meng for about 12 laps when mechanical problems forced Duane Steffe and Ted Wanerus out of the race.
Pat Blake was in for second as he and Dick Bragg crossed the finish line almost in a dead heat. Close finishes were the rule, as Bragg barely nosed out Perry Beckler in the second heat race in the modifieds.
The Street Stock feature ended the same way as Jim Fausey beat Merle Ohrt to the finish by a whisker. Jerry Mull and Kenny Sauers were involved in a hard collision in the first heat in the Street Stocks.
Neither driver was injured but both cars were out for the night.
1. Jack Meng, Maquoketa, Iowa
2. Pat Blake, Clarence, Iowa
3. Dick Bragg, Hiawatha, Iowa
4. Perry Beckler, Tiffin, Iowa
5. Jim Minneart, Walcott, Iowa
6. Allan Hasselbush, Clarence, Iowa
1. Jim Fausey, Dixon, Ill.
2. Merle Ohrt, Anamosa, Iowa
3. Rich Reitman, Oxford, Iowa
4. Bob Aikman, Marion, Iowa
5. Bob Bollman, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
6. Don Seedorf, Marion, Iowa