Ray Lee Goodwin of Kansas City, Mo., claimed his first IMCA national championship in the sprint division in 1972.
Goodwin piled up a total of 1,830 points and nosed out Chuck Amati of Greenfield, Tenn., with 1,665 to win the 1972 IMCA sprint car national championship. This was Goodwin's first title. He put together 615 points behind the wheel of Hank Smith's Chevy and the remainder in the Chuck Swenson Chevy.
Irv Janey of Cedar Rapids, Iowa was the 1972 IMCA new model stock car national champion.
Irv Janey won a total of 11 features to win the 1972 IMCA new model stock car national title with a total of 2,224 points. Janey did the winning in the J&M Engineering 1971 Plymouth. Gary Harrison of Topeka, Kan., placed second for the season with 1,596 points.
Janey received $3,500 for winning his title and Goodwin was presented $2,525 for the sprint car championship. Tom Stewart of Washington, Iowa was named rookie-of-the-year in the stock car division and Tom Noardstrom of White Bear Lake, Minn., claimed the sprint car rookie laurels.
Most improved driver awards went to Jim Still of Topeka, Kan., in the stock car class and Thad Dosher of Topeka in the sprint car category. Best dressed pit crew awards went to Thurman Lovejoy of Kansas City, Mo., in stocks and Earl Wagner of Pleasantville, Iowa and Hank Smith of Mt. Ayr, Iowa in the sprints.
Official IMCA New Model Stock Car Point Standings
1. Irv Janey, Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 2,224
2. Gerry Harrison, Topeka, Kan. - 1,596
3. Jim Hager, Liberty, Mo. - 1,570
4. Gordon Blankenship, Keokuk, Iowa - 1,535
5. Thurman Lovejoy, Kansas City, Mo. - 1,188
6. Jerre Wichman, Kansas City, Mo. - 1,025
7. Vern Mondry, Lake Elmo, Minn. - 872
8. Jim Still, Topeka, Kan. - 706
9. Carl VanderWal, Ames, Iowa - 658
10. Blackie Wangerin, Bloomington, Minn. - 540
Official IMCA Sprint Car Point Standings
1. Ray Lee Goodwin, Kansas City, Mo. - 1,830
2. Chuck Amati, Greenfield, Tenn. - 1,665
3. Dick Sutcliffe, Greenwood, Mo. - 1,640
4. Earl Wagner, Pleasantville, Iowa - 1,365
5. Thad Dosher, Topeka, Kan. - 1,185
6. Steve Schultz, Chillicothe, Mo. - 1,075
7. Ron Perkins, Des Moines, Iowa - 1,030
8. Ralph Parkinson Jr., Kansas City, Mo. - 915
9. Jerry Blundy, Galesburg, Ill. - 905
10. Dave Ross, Jetmore, Kan. - 835