- Emory Collins barnstormed the United States and Canada during the formative years of sprint car racing in the 1920’s until 1951. A four time IMCA ‘big car’ champion, Collins wrestled his red No. 7 during the Kossuth County Fair Races.
- Marv DeWall was a seven time Jackson Speedway track champ who competed during the modified days at Algona Raceway. He also drove a sprint car owned by fellow hall of famer Daryl Arend.
- Bud Fair was one of the toughest competitors in the modified and stock car divisions. He drove the “Swea City Oil” No. 88 and other cars in the 1960’s at Algona.
- Wheelman Don Hiscocks will be recognized for his many years of racing and winning races. One of the fathers of the ‘first family of racing’ in the Britt area, Hiscocks was a hard charger at the Kossuth County track.
- When most racers have long since retired, Stan Riedel was still racing and thrilling race fans well past 70 years of age. After racing for many years and performing stunts at county fairs across the country, Riedel most recently was a thunder truck champion at Algona.
- Buzz Rose was one of the top CRA and IMCA sprint car drivers from the 1960’s. In 1973 he paired up with long-time sprint car owner Daryl Arend for an assault on the IMCA fair circuit. At season’s end, the team finished an impressive fifth in the final standings.
Input from the public and the committee garnered nearly 70 candidates for consideration this year. The committee, with the help of the living members of the Kossuth Racing Hall of Fame, selected the six inductees for 2011. Candidates not selected will be considered for future inductions.
During the August 6th Kossuth County Racing Hall of Fame induction ceremony, the inductees will be recognized on the ‘Wall of Fame’, located at the entrance of the speedway grandstand. Inductees will also be introduced at the pit meeting prior to the races and during the formal induction ceremony during intermission of the fair races that night.
All race fans are invited to attend the Kossuth County Fair Races and the Hall of Fame ceremony held at the Algona Raceway. More details about the Hall of Fame and the induction ceremony will be released when they are available.
Post a Comment