Huron, S.D. (August 1, 1979) – The man with the longest haul won the longest race of the season as Bill Sanders of Muskogee, Okla., won the rain-delayed KIJV South Dakota 100
Nine days earlier, Sanders qualified for the pole position for the state’s best paying race by winning the first heat, but the feature was rained out.
For Sanders, the return trip was worth $2,200 as he grabbed the lead from Verlin Eaker of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on lap 57 and won by a straightaway over Eaker, who earlier in the evening, lowered the track record to 23.88 seconds on the final lap of the trophy dash.
Third and fourth place went to Denny Selting of Huron, S.D., and Willy Yost of Miller, S.D. Only the top four finishers were on the lead lap.
Pete Parker of Kaukauna, Wis., was the early leader, jumping from the outside of the front row and hanging on through four yellow flags and the challenges of Sanders and Eaker until lap 44 when Dennis Gross of Huron, S.D., lost oil pressure and came to a half in turn four.
Several drivers, including Sanders, used the stoppage to change tires. Sanders, in fifth place during the red flag, dropped back to seventh on the restart due to cold tires as Eaker took the lead from Parker. On lap 51. With his tires sufficiently heated, Sanders began his charge to the front, taking second from Parker on lap 55.
At this point the top 12 cars, six of them locals, were running virtually nose to tail. Sanders roared by Eaker two circuits later and ran away and hid, even after two more yellows closed the field.
Sanders’ win was relatively easy compared to some of the dogfights for lower positions that raged from start to finish leaving the huge crowd hoarse. Thirteen cars, out of the starting field of 34, finished the 50-lapper.
1. Bill Sanders, Muskogee, Okla.
2. Verlin Eaker, Mechanicsville, Iowa
3. Denny Selting, Huron, S.D.
4. Willy Yost, Miller, S.D.
5. Leon Plank, Eau Claire, Wis.
6. Pete Parker, Kaukauna, Wis.
7. Sheldon Reding, Harrold, S.D.
8. Gary Crawford, Independence, Iowa
9. Dick Schiltz, Waterloo, Iowa
10. Joe Salner, St. Cloud, Minn.
11. Galen Keas, Grand Island, Neb.
12. Dallas Lafferty, Reliance, S.D.
13. Kent Wilson, Miller, S.D.
14. Bill Christman, Bronson, Iowa
15. Ron Droog, Aberdeen, S.D.
16. Ken Farrell, New Hampton, Iowa
17. Britt Williams, Brookings, S.D.
18. Rich Wendt, Aberdeen, S.D.
19. Gary Nagel, Gettysburg, S.D.
20. Kenny Selting, Huron, S.D.
21. Dennis Gross, Huron, S.D.
22. Jim Cowan, Sturgis, S.D.
23. Ron Anderson, Webster, S.D.
24. Terry Kopecky, Miller, S.D.